|We're a Community that Cares...
The Brethren Home Community Windber is located in a rural environment within Windber, Pennsylvania on approximately twenty-eight acres.
The establishment of the Brethren Home (originally named "Old Folks Home") in 1921 is visible evidence of the traditional concern among Brethren for care of the aging. As early as 1892 the question of the need for a home appears in the minute book. An organization was formed in 1919. Its members began to solicit gifts, look at property, and sell interest-bearing bonds to finance building. As a result the original building was constructed on a small farm of about 15 acres. For many years the Home used the farm to support itself. The barn was used to store crops and house the farm animals. With little outside help most of the food used was raised each year on the Home's farm.
An ever- growing need for care demanded more space. Additional wings were added in 1957, 1964 and 1973. As of today, we have expanded to a 170-bed facility. In 1981, the first of 40 ranch style, independent living cottages was built in the Orchard Point Retirement Community. The need arose for an independent living rental apartment facility, Taufer Place was built in 1994 providing 21 single bedroom units. Pettikoffer House was built in 1999, as a two story personal care living facility providing 17 single bedroom apartments. The most recent addition to the BHCW is Coventry Place, a two story independent apartment facility featuring 10 two-bedroom and 5 one-bedroom units.
Through the years we continue the tradition of providing the finest care for all residents in a Christian atmosphere.